Short and quick update for all of those who are praying for us:
Yesterday we had a routine appointment at the hospital in London. We had an fetal echo at 10:30am, that went for almost an hour and a half. Our paedtric cardiologist met with us afterwards and explained to us that they found another VSD (hole in the heart) which was small and that Leo has a Mobitz Type 2/2nd degree AV Block. She mentioned that this means he would possibly need a pacemaker in the future, though she didn’t know when. Our cardiologist wants to have an ultrasound on Lauren twice a week to monitor Leo’s heart rate and blood flow, to make sure that it doesn’t turn into a complete AV block or that fluid doesn’t build up around his organs.
We then went to our ultrasound appointment, where everything looked normal except for the Doppler readings (the bloodflow to the baby) on the placenta, etc. They weren’t sure if that was because of the AV block or because there was another issue. So because Lauren had an abnormal ultrasound they immediately took us down to the OB Triage and admitted her to the Antenatal unit. They didn’t want us to leave until they were able to figure out what was wrong. They did some fetal monitoring, routine pregnancy tests, and did some blood work, but afterwards we spent the night in one of the private rooms.
This morning we have met with a OB/MFM who let us know that today our doctors will be trying to come up with a birth plan for us.
They took some more blood to test whether or not Lauren is a carrier for Lupus antibodies which is what may be causing the AV block.
We are on the waiting list for another ultrasound to figure out why the Doppler readings are abnormal. This will determine whether or not Lauren needs to stay in the hospital for fetal monitoring, if we need to be transferred to a hospital in Toronto, or we can be discharged and Lauren can simply stay in the area at a friend’s house.
Lauren also had a steroids shot, and will receive another one tomorrow morning, to help Leo’s lungs develop quicker as they mentioned possibly inducing Lauren at 34 weeks (which is in two weeks – yipes!) at Mt. Sinai Hospital in Toronto (which is closer to Toronto Sick Kids).
Anyways, this is what we know so far. Mark has to drive back to Durham tonight to return his parents’ car, and we are trying to find a place outside of the hospital for Lauren to stay at so we don’t have to pay for room and board at the hospital.
Thank you SO much to everyone who has been praying for us! We are tired and a little overwhelmed at the rate at everything is happening, but the Lord has definitely given us peace and we know He is in control!
If you need to reach us, you can text our cell phone or you can call the Victoria Hospital and they can transfer your call to the Antenatal unit.
– Mark & Lauren
Victoria Hospital, London, ON