3/4 c. unbleached flour (or all-purpose flour)
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 bananas, mashed
1/3 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 c. canola oil (or melted butter, or applesauce)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
2 tbsp. unbleached flour
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. canola oil (or softened butter)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.
2. In large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, salt, sugar, egg and canola oil. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into muffin pan.
3. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tbsp. flour, cinnamon, and canola oil. Mixture should resemble coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins. (For a healthier substitute, sprinkle oatmeal and cinnamon over muffin tops).
4. Bake in preheated oven for 14 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out a clean.
5. Turn muffins on sides in muffin pan to cool without “sweating”. Then transfer to wire rack.